Friday, May 29, 2020

Open Sketchpad

Tears trickled down my face as I stared at the blank sketchpad on my desk.

Countless hours of my childhood were spent drawing, making flip-books, and writing picture books inspired by the characters of the video games worlds I inhabited.

Imagination was my happy place, but report cards were always more important than my sketches, creativity overlooked to favor intellect.

By adolescence, I learned to stop caring.

It was a necessary trade off. Security and material success were an unspoken priority in my humble immigrant family. Because of the sacrifices of my parents and those who came before, I'm able to live the privileged life I now lead, and for that I'm incredibly grateful.

But now it's up to me to reconnect with what was left behind.

I'd made many attempts; an art class here, creative writing class there, peeking into animation communities from time to time.

None of that stuck for long.

Sitting at my desk, staring at an empty piece of paper, I felt ridiculous, stupid, and hopeless. No inspiration, little training, no confidence. But that night I knew there was something calling me that couldn't be kept on hold anymore, and I stayed with it.

And then…

I remembered.

I needed to pick up where I left off.

I bolted into the living room and cracked open my copy of Journey, a beautiful, interactive metaphor of our passages through life.


And I sobbed.

Sitting there cross-legged on the carpet, game manual in hand, I was suddenly a kid again… only this time I felt really, truly seen.

The adult in me was there to hold witness to this quiet inner child eager to share his joy with whoever would listen.

Trembling with joy, it felt like I was finally home.





Staring back at me from the pages of this manual was the omen I needed to take the first step.

It was the call I needed to remind me of the stories that still need to be told.

And so that night I started.




And then I continued.

One day at a time. 



One stroke at a time.














(Sketches based on Matt Nava's original concept art for Journey, game by thatgamecompany.)


1 comment:

  1. I thought those pictures looked like Journey! I haven't played it yet, but I recently picked it up. I just don't game much anymore, since I am working hard on my own journey as well! Good luck on your own journey. I hope to see some cool progress! :)

    ReplyDelete